About Bedford Magistrates Court
Bedford Magistrates Court dates back to 1880 when it was built as the Shire Hall. The current building was designed by Alfred Waterhouse in the Gothic Revival Style, replacing the original which was built in 1753, thought to have been designed by Thomas Moore. After a number of additions and augmentations, in 1969 the county council relocated to larger and more modern premises in County Hall on the opposite side of the river. The Shire Hall was then used solely as the magistrates’ court and county court.